What's the process for becoming a Pharm tech in CA ?

by Andy
(Los Angeles, CA)

I live in California. What do I need to do to get a Pharmacy Tech license?

Is schooling required or can you study on your own?

Where can you take the exam?

Once you are licensed, can you just start working?

Is there anything else needed other than the exam to get a Pharm Tech license?


Reply (by Keith):

In California, you are required to be licensed by the State Board of Pharmacy. You can do that by either a formal program or Passing the PTCB Exam. (not the ExCPT) However, Most employers will want to see the PTCB national certification no matter what. You will also need to pass a background check, provide fingerprints and a current passport size photo.

You can study on your own or enroll in a program to study for the Exam. The exam is proctored at Pearson View centers. In SoCal, there are Pearson Vue centers in Gardena, Pasadena, Anaheim, San Dimas, WestLake Village, Ontario and two in San Diego. You first need to apply to take it thru PTCB and get a letter of authorization. Then you can schedule with Pearson Vue.

And yes, once you get licensed by the state you can go to work (provided you find a job). I recently heard that the state prisons are hiring down there. No furlough Fridays for Pharm Tech's in CA Prison Pharmacy either....so I hear from a friend down there.

Best of luck, Andy !

If anyone knows more , please add a comment
using the link below.

Click here to post comments.

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How?
Simply click here to return to Ask a Question